The History of First Baptist Church of Shannon

The construction of the building took place between 1920 and 1924.  Upon completion, it was originally dedicated for public use to the community of Shannon.  Thus, it was utilized not only as a meeting place for different church denominations, but also for political rallies, union meetings and sporting events, such as boxing and wrestling matches.

In the mid 1930’s, the Baptists and Methodists used the building for worship services, bible study classes, and other church related functions.

In the late 1930’s, the “Red Iron-Ore Mine” was closed due to flooding by an underground river, and the majority of the Methodists left Shannon to seek employment elsewhere.  Most of the Baptists, however, stayed in Shannon and found employment in the mines in Raimond, Spaulding, Muscoda and the “Number 11 Camp.”

In the early 1940’s, the Baptists were the only users of the building, so they were responsible for its upkeep and maintenance.

In 1952, Republic Steel sold the entire community of Shannon to Paden Realty of Bessemer, Alabama, who deeded the building and its property to Shannon Village Water Works.

In approximately 1975, Birmingham Water Works began supplying water for the residents of Shannon, so members of First Baptist Church of Shannon met with the board of Shannon Village Water Works to inquire about the building and its property.  An agreement was reached deeding the building and its property to First Baptist Church of Shannon.

Since that time, the Lord has blessed and continues to bless First Baptist Church of Shannon.